How to Write an Essay in APA Format
So, you have an uneasy task to do an APA format essay. It might seem like some daunting job, especially if you used to write another style essays, MLA or Chicago, for example. Before you start, you should learn the basics and main document formatting rules. Also, you can find any APA format paper example online and compare it with MLA format paper example to know the difference.
APA Format Definition
You should prepare yourself for writing during the course of the semester at least one paper. Mostly, you will need to write your paper in APA format. It is the official publication style. So, knowledge in document formatting is a must.
APA format is very popular, especially in psychology, education and other social sciences. This style dictates every presentation element of your paper. Spacing, margins and the content structure should be done in APA format.
Basics of an APA Format Essay
- You should do the margins at least one inch at the top, bottom, left and right sides of your essay.
- Double-spaced paper is a must.
- You should include a running head at the top left on every page of your essay. The running head is just a shortened form of your title. You can take the first few words for it, but not more than 50 characters including all spaces.
- Don’t forget to include a page number in the top right corner on every page.
- The title page of your essay also goes in APA format. This page includes the title of your paper, your name and school affiliation. Also, on your teacher’s request there can be added information about the course title, instructor name, and the date.
- A reference list is also important for your APA format essay. It is a list of all the sources that you have used for your essay. You should locate it at the end of your paper. All the references should be listed alphabetically by the last name of the author. Double-space here is also a must.
Tips for APA Format Essay
First of all, you must find an interesting topic for your future essay. It is better to choose a subject that is specific enough to do researches and is interesting for you to write about. You should plan your work at the very start, so think is your theme good enough and at the save time not so specific that it is difficult to find any information about it. So you must find some happy medium between something too specific, it is too difficult to write about, or something too general, it is not so interesting to read.
Start your research as early as it is possible for you. But remember about including any source used into your essay in your reference section, it is a must.
Write first and then second draft. After you write the final draft, it is necessary to do some editing, and watch your essay for grammar errors and possible problems with APA format
Writing your first APA format, honestly, is a tough case. It is very difficult to write something special and successful. So you may need some help from the outside. You can consult with your teacher, more experienced friend and, of course, don’t forget about our service. Our custom support team is 24/7. So, any time is the right time to ask for help. Our writers are experts in different subjects and will help you to write your APA format essay for sure.